Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Part 2: A Life Remembered

 Early this morning the senior class and chaperones left to head back home. And all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and cry. The emotional stress of the past days hit me full force.  Going through something like this creates an emotional bond between all involved, and the goodbyes were hard. But there was also a part of me, like never before, that breathed a sigh of relief when I knew they were safely at  the airport.
 How I wanted to assure those worried mothers back home, that "there is nothing to worry about. We'll take good care of your child!"
 Words, that so glibly rolled off my tongue before, stuck in my throat, and I couldn't bring myself to say them, because, how do we know nothing else will happen?
 Today was my day to work at the hospital. I thought about calling them and telling them I won't be in but decided it might be just as good to get my mind on something else. I was glad I did. More than ever, I am realizing how Jared's death impacted people far and wide.
 Almost everyone I talked to, knew about the tragedy. People from this island of Grenada. People from England, Germany and Trinidad. The one man from Germany, knew about it because he had read the article online from the reporter in Jared's home area. He squirmed uncomfortably and looked away when I mentioned how Jared was ready to go and his parents have peace that he's in a better place.
The people on this island are so kind and sympathetic. Dr. Amichi, the doctor at the hospital where I work, said,"We are just so sorry to hear about the tragedy. That is so sad. So tragic. But it was his time to go and the good Lord needed him above." He shared how the guard at the Dive Shack was a friend of  his. He said the first thing the guard noticed was a group of young men gathered together praying, and he knew something was wrong. I wonder how many other people noticed this group in prayer? This man performed CPR on Jared and also rode along to the hospital with Jared.
 Another patient shared how he plays basketball with "the Mennonites." He knew about the drowning and he expressed his sympathy. 
 To many students, a senior trip is the time to live it up, party and be merry. Through the eyes and words of the people I met today, I could tell many of them were amazed and astounded that someone would actually spend their senior trip serving others. It is a concept totally foreign to many people.
May this class keep on being a light and testimony for Christ as they adjust to a new normal back home again.

 I'll share some more pictures from yesterday.

                               Singing at the poor house, a place for handicapped adults
                                                      Bringing cheer to the residents













No comments:

Post a Comment